Mobile application development is a hot topic that’s about to reach the horizon. With a prediction of 6.1Billion smartphone users by 2020, there has been an overwhelming progress in the field for startups and enterprises in this sector. Yet just a few make it to the top few trusted ones. One of those who stood out in the crowd was HummingWave Technologies . Top Award Winner They have been listed in the CLUTCH TOP APP DEVELOPER LIST IN BENGALURU 2017. Bengaluru [ ]
It was a wonderful day with Julian harty. Loved his simple way of demonstrating things with real examples. There was no presentation as such, but we never felt or realized for a minute about having a presentation. we were absolutely fine with the way he structured the topics and explanation.
Going ahead, he had inspired me in many ways, TODAY. Firstly, I have never seen a mobile tester carrying different kinds of mobile with him and experimenting always. The notepad and his pen, wow! Wonderful, it’s the technology he is filled with. And now I am now curious to use those kind of pen. 🙂
He started with a wonderful example, “I had been to a mall yesterday, and observed people grouping up in a mobile store. There was posters of samsung galaxy S4 and HTC”. Relating this to evaluate the devices that has to be considered seriously for testing an app or the Mobile web. Wow, isn’t that good! we always go to a mall, just to have fun and there are information’s that are flying across. We might have to wait and think for a while to understand why and for what is this happening!
He helped us providing some important tricks :
In Order to test a mobile web applications :
To understand, the technology used behind the mobile web
So, considering the mobile web seriously from business perspective (ie : why is that the organization focused more towards their mobile web why not mobile app?
Mapping the common language used by the browser to interact with the website
Network connectivity – Never know how the network connection is going to be. (ie : 2G, 3G, 4G LTE and Wi-Fi etc)
Geolocation – which is now-a-days playing an important role in each and every application to give user an appropriate results and as most of the e-commerce application using the IP address to determine the exact shop and location to provide information for the user MORE PRECISELY
Understanding their (Clients) database structure and libraries to analyze and help them to achieve their goal.
We might have to try this, ring.io. Helps to understand the technology used by a website in mobile browser. Similar to WOORANK analysis available to get the technical information of websites
Making use of emulators and simulators :
As there are plenty of manufacturers manufacturing different kinds of devices respective to screen sizes, resolutions, software versions and hardware capabilities. Emulators helps us in such a situation where we might have to test on a particular device with particular hardware capabilities, just create an emulator and boooommm!! you got a unique devices with you! Ya, there are limitations. We can just take help of it and should not rely on it totally.
Making use of web-kit that’s been already provided by Google and mixing up with eclipse and ADT tools automate mobile websites. We were focusing more towards setting up the environment and understanding it.
Will explore about the tool and would write a follow-up post and by the time I do that, just go ahead and explore the tool. Thanks!
Thanks Parimala for giving me an opportunity to take an session on iOS with no documents and Mind-maps with me ..!! ya.!! I was scared and nervous,however I somehow told myself “Dude, Go ahead”. But I have no idea how it started and how it got over but hope some or the other would have gained some knowledge about iOS after this session.
I couldn’t organize it accordingly as it was a surprise for me. I just have to dig my knowledge and put it upfront.
So here is the summary :
iOS (internet operating system) by apple inc. being an “Android fan boy” doesn’t mean that I shouldn’t have knowledge of iOS. So here I go.
About hardware and software :
All the apple phones can be updated to its latest software. There are parent product as of now (iPhone, iPad, iPod) and they are further divided with :
- iPhone 4
- iPhone 4s
- iPhone 5
- iPad 3
- iPad Mini
- iPad 2 (Non-retina)
The latest software : iOS (6.0.1)
Agenda : (There was nothing like that when I took that session) 🙂
- User reviews and comments
The Test design format :
How to get started?? Just don’t go blind. There are some basic ideas or design that I can help you with.
So, being an app which is not available in app store. There are certain things you might have to do install an app.
- Download iTunes (Available for windows, Mac)
- Connect your iPhone to your PC using USB cable)
- Now you can observe that the device name will be displayed in iTunes with an “Sync” icon
- Now go to apps
- Enable sync and just drag and drop the file which is stored in your local.
Note : if the previous version is already installed, it will be replaced.
You might think why is this guy taking navigation as priority??
It’s because “Mobile apps” are meant to achieve the task as short and as simple as possible it may be time, the process or even the payment. If it doesn’t do then the developer had gone crazy…!! 😀
Points to note on Navigation :
- More than 3 steps is a very bad user experience
- Make sure that the buttons are not misplaced
- Make sure you are not getting lost somewhere inside the app (If you are lost, it’s not your problem)
- It’s really important and Apple really do care.
- Find out the place where user uses the app for a long time and pick some important part from guidelines.
- Go through User element usage guidelines (Important)
- Apple had introduced Notification recently and I don’t like it. But keep an eye
- Lot’s of notification will lead to un-installation of the app (Limited notification is enough)
- Information as short and simple when it comes to notification
- Consistency of the info provided in the notification and after opening it
- Sharing is caring and user loves it
- Facebook and twitter is one of the top social sharing websites and it’s been integrated into iOS software by default which means no windows to login or entering credentials. Click, access and share and it’s done.
User reviews and comments :
Please do follow user reviews and comments in the app store. They some how help you to get lot more ideas. User always tells truth.
Other ideas :
- Use the app, which means you are actually an user when it comes to mobile app. This will indirectly help you to find bugs (Environment, color, Lightnings etc.)
- Help Developers to fix their bugs easily (Provide as much info as possible)
- Find out some competitor apps and explore it for a while (Boss..!! they already have some customers)
- Read terms and conditions at-least once
- Feel free to tell, discuss with developers. Because we are the only friend for them
The design :
- Understand and write down the purpose of the app from your perception (Because you are testing it)
- Find out the Platforms in which the same app has been developed and explore it
- List down the features and mark priority accordingly
- List down required data and present data
- Write down some basic user scenarios (May be a single flow ie : Login, purchase, view the info of purchased item and logout)
You will get lot more ideas when you start exploring the app and don’t forget to note it down somewhere..!!
I think this might have helped you guys in some or the other way. However thanks for reading it. I might have missed some of the points but don’t curse me for that. 😉
Note : I will be updating this post when ever required or I get some crazy ideas.
Since being a user and tester of mobile apps, my friends and colleagues have been asking me how to Root an android phone or Jail break an iOS and how does it helps us.? But, once upon a time i wasted my time help others to root android phones, and do experimental things in that. I thought why don’t i learn something which we are actually doing. Let me learn something deep in that and help myself and others.
What is rooting?
I would not tell that as a typical answer given by others, Rooting is a process, where you achieve to get an access your subsystem. Rooting is where you get rights to overcome the limitations set by the hardware and software. Rooting allows you to replace or change the setting which has been restricted. It allows you to access privilege apps and commands which is not available in stock configured mobiles.
Typically they named the same process for iOS as “Jail breaking”.
And it has been confirmed by US government that rooting and Jail breaking is legal:-)
So lets talk about the need and uses of rooting:
You may ask how does rooting helps me to access something which cannot be accessed? But the reality is that even i don’t about that technically:-)
Advantages of rooting (Android):
1. Speed and performance: While rooting allows you to access anything, So you can setup your own environment. To make you understand better, Kernels is the thing which tells the processor what to do, so you are telling the processor to work as your wish. You are buying an mobile which has the processor speed of 1.2Ghz and has been clocked at 700Mhz (Which is set by the manufacturers), So rooting allows you to tell the processor to work at this speed and you can set this even for 1.2Ghz. Which is awesome…!!
2. More and more apps: Apps such as screenshots, Overclocking apps etc. Can be installed and more than 1,00,000 apps available for rooted phones and works perfectly.
3. Customization: Customization is the best part for Android but bit disappointed with iOS and after jail breaking i felt it was best part in iOS. Installing themes, 3rd apps and customized home screens and animations etc etc.
But i haven’t jailbreak-ed any iOS till now. I have been experiencing all these while by videos and reviews given by others. But for android i got my own phone which is the lowest end phone in the market.
How to root?
As i didn’t find any tools better than “Superone click” Which helped me rooting more than 15 phones of Different version. So please do suggest me if anybody could find more than easier than this. So it’s simple..!! But, be careful.
I would explain more and more about this, Please do suggest me so that i can add with this post. But i haven’t jail breaked any iOS yet. But would do it once and explain about that soon.
So thanks for reading about rooting. I would ask everybody who read this can suggest or correct me if anything is wrong. And i would be happy and thankful to you. Happy Rooting;-)