Thanks Parimala for giving me an opportunity to take an session on iOS with no documents and Mind-maps with me ..!! ya.!! I was scared and nervous,however I somehow told myself “Dude, Go ahead”. But I have no idea how it started and how it got over but hope some or the other would have gained some knowledge about iOS after this session.
I couldn’t organize it accordingly as it was a surprise for me. I just have to dig my knowledge and put it upfront.
So here is the summary :
iOS (internet operating system) by apple inc. being an “Android fan boy” doesn’t mean that I shouldn’t have knowledge of iOS. So here I go.
About hardware and software :
All the apple phones can be updated to its latest software. There are parent product as of now (iPhone, iPad, iPod) and they are further divided with :
- iPhone 4
- iPhone 4s
- iPhone 5
- iPad 3
- iPad Mini
- iPad 2 (Non-retina)
The latest software : iOS (6.0.1)
Agenda : (There was nothing like that when I took that session) 🙂
- User reviews and comments
The Test design format :
How to get started?? Just don’t go blind. There are some basic ideas or design that I can help you with.
So, being an app which is not available in app store. There are certain things you might have to do install an app.
- Download iTunes (Available for windows, Mac)
- Connect your iPhone to your PC using USB cable)
- Now you can observe that the device name will be displayed in iTunes with an “Sync” icon
- Now go to apps
- Enable sync and just drag and drop the file which is stored in your local.
Note : if the previous version is already installed, it will be replaced.
You might think why is this guy taking navigation as priority??
It’s because “Mobile apps” are meant to achieve the task as short and as simple as possible it may be time, the process or even the payment. If it doesn’t do then the developer had gone crazy…!! 😀
Points to note on Navigation :
- More than 3 steps is a very bad user experience
- Make sure that the buttons are not misplaced
- Make sure you are not getting lost somewhere inside the app (If you are lost, it’s not your problem)
- It’s really important and Apple really do care.
- Find out the place where user uses the app for a long time and pick some important part from guidelines.
- Go through User element usage guidelines (Important)
- Apple had introduced Notification recently and I don’t like it. But keep an eye
- Lot’s of notification will lead to un-installation of the app (Limited notification is enough)
- Information as short and simple when it comes to notification
- Consistency of the info provided in the notification and after opening it
- Sharing is caring and user loves it
- Facebook and twitter is one of the top social sharing websites and it’s been integrated into iOS software by default which means no windows to login or entering credentials. Click, access and share and it’s done.
User reviews and comments :
Please do follow user reviews and comments in the app store. They some how help you to get lot more ideas. User always tells truth.
Other ideas :
- Use the app, which means you are actually an user when it comes to mobile app. This will indirectly help you to find bugs (Environment, color, Lightnings etc.)
- Help Developers to fix their bugs easily (Provide as much info as possible)
- Find out some competitor apps and explore it for a while (Boss..!! they already have some customers)
- Read terms and conditions at-least once
- Feel free to tell, discuss with developers. Because we are the only friend for them
The design :
- Understand and write down the purpose of the app from your perception (Because you are testing it)
- Find out the Platforms in which the same app has been developed and explore it
- List down the features and mark priority accordingly
- List down required data and present data
- Write down some basic user scenarios (May be a single flow ie : Login, purchase, view the info of purchased item and logout)
You will get lot more ideas when you start exploring the app and don’t forget to note it down somewhere..!!
I think this might have helped you guys in some or the other way. However thanks for reading it. I might have missed some of the points but don’t curse me for that. 😉
Note : I will be updating this post when ever required or I get some crazy ideas.